This weekend, I will be mostly watching the Tour de France. It’s been a very good tour for software and cooperatives. Look at the current leaderboards:-
- Carlos Sastre Candil (also 2nd in King of Mountains) Team Computer Sciences Corporation – Saxo Bank
- Frank Schleck (3rd KoM) Team CSC – Saxo Bank
- Bernhard Kohl (1st KoM) Gerolsteiner bottled water – OK, not related
- Cadel Evans, Silence anti-snoring product – Lotto Belgium – also unrelated
- Denis Menchov, Rabobank cooperative
- Oscar Freire Gomez, Rabobank
- Erik Zabel, Team Milram, a brand of Nordmilch cooperative
- Thor Hushovd, Crédit Agricole cooperative banks
- Team CSC Saxo Bank
- AG2R-La Mondiale insurance mutuals
- Euskaltel – Euskadi – privately-owned telco and a government
- Caisse d’Epargne cooperative bank
So however it finishes, I think it probably will have been a much better race for software and cooperatives than last year’s tour, likely to take 4 of the top 5 team positions and 1-2-3 in the green jersey contest… even the doping scandals have been for other teams this year, I think.
One day, one of my companies will sponsor pro-cycling. I hope. Anyway, if you’d like to cheer on other Software and Cooperative firm teams until then, European TV coverage details are on another site of mine and Saturday’s time trial start times are posted on a sister site.
2 Responses to Good Tour for Software and Cooperatives Enters Final Weekend