Category Archives: Community

SOPA: Lash Out is better than Black Out

Once again, lawmakers are considering a stupid protectionist measure and this time it’s the US, so it has some effects outside the US too. Once again, some websites have taken themselves offline and caused great inconvenience to their supporters. This … Continue reading

Posted in SPI | 6 Comments

Software in the Public Interest August 2011 – and election results

The SPI election results have been declared. Jimmy Kaplowitz, Clint Adams and Robert Brockway were elected to the SPI board. There were 75 voters, which is 16% turnout, up from the 13% in the last contested election, in 2009. The … Continue reading

Posted in SPI | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

SPI Annual General Meeting 2011

Software in the Public Interest (SPI) will hold its Annual General Meeting today: Wednesday, 13th July 2011 at 20:30 UTC (21:30 UK, 22:30 CET). SPI is the developer association that supports debian, OpenWrt and many other projects. SPI meetings are … Continue reading

Posted in SPI | 1 Comment

Software in the Public Interest June 2011

Software in the Public Interest is one of the oldest and best non-profit associations (and not a foundation!) that supports free and open source software development and it will hold a public board of directors meeting on Wednesday at 20:30 … Continue reading

Posted in SPI | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

SPI May 2011

Software in the Public Interest (the organisation behind debian and many more) will hold a public board meeting later today (Wednesday) at 20:30 UTC (=21:30 BST, 22:30 CEST or date -d @1305145800 to you). SPI meetings are held in #spi … Continue reading

Posted in SPI | Leave a comment

SPI March 2011

Software in the Public Interest, the contributor-led not-for-profit corporation that supports debian GNU/Linux, OpenVAS, OpenOffice.org and an ‘ole load of other free software projects meets tonight (Wednesday 9th) at 20:30 UTC in #spi on irc.spi-inc.org. The agenda has been published … Continue reading

Posted in SPI | Tagged , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

SPI February 2011

The regular monthly board of SPI (Software in the Public Interest, the contributor-run non-profit which supports debian, drupal and many other projects not beginning with the letter d) is on IRC this evening at 20:30 UTC in #spi on irc.oftc.net. … Continue reading

Posted in SPI | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

SPI January 2011

The meeting agenda is already posted for tonight’s (Wednesday’s) SPI board IRC meeting which will be at 2030 UTC in #spi on irc.oftc.net. I’m sorry it’s pretty late notice, but you might like to come along and let the board … Continue reading

Posted in SPI | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

ECJ on SAS v WPL: A Coming Storm?

While I share Alex’s “law [is] boring” view, this also attracted my attention because it’s (slightly) about statistics software. I feel the SAS v WPL case mentioned on his blog deserves a wider airing: “The basic story is that the … Continue reading

Posted in SPI | Tagged , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Budget 2010: take 2 (IT, Co-ops and Community edition)

I’ve been watching the June budget and pondering its effects on me, our co-op, co-ops in general and the wider community.

IT Taxes I just want to flag this one up as a special interest: the telephone tax is killed off before it starts. Yippee! But now we … Continue reading

Posted in Cooperatives, SPI | Comments Off on Budget 2010: take 2 (IT, Co-ops and Community edition)