Category Archives: Community

SPI May 2009

The monthly board meeting of Software in the Public Interest will take place on irc.oftc.net #spi tonight (Wed 20 May) at 20:00 UTC. The meeting announcement was posted and there are indeed minutes to approve, a financial report, and a … Continue reading

Posted in SPI | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

Legal aspects of FOSS in the enterprise

Raphael Bauduin emailed me to say that he’s organising an event for Profoss: “(28 april in Brussels) will take a look at legal aspects of the use of FOSS in professional environments. http://www.profoss.eu/events It will bring interesting information for most … Continue reading

Posted in SPI | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

SPI April 2009

The monthly board meeting of Software in the Public Interest will take place on irc.oftc.net #spi tonight (Wed 15 April) at 20:00 UTC. The meeting announcement was posted, but a bit late, so there’s another discussion about that going on … Continue reading

Posted in SPI | Tagged , , , , , , | 1 Comment

Why is public and charity money paying for the private sector’s marketing?

The workshop I went to recently and the ICT Champions in general (“Website Under Development” – release early, anyone?) seem to be funded by public and charity money. As I mentioned, the worst thing was all the needless promotion of … Continue reading

Posted in SPI | Tagged , , , , | 6 Comments

Making infrastructure organisations more resilient Taunton 20 March 2009

Last Friday, I spent most of the day at this NAVCA ICT event in Taunton. (There’s another similar one in York this Friday if you’re interested.) The event was a sandwich, with a Steve Bridger social media session as the … Continue reading

Posted in SPI | Tagged , , , , | 7 Comments

SPI March 2009

The monthly board meeting of SPI will take place on irc.oftc.net #spi tonight (Wed 18 March) at 20:00 UTC. Members may have seen that the meeting announcement was posted, but a bit late and with a misleading subject line. This … Continue reading

Posted in SPI | Tagged , , , , , | 1 Comment

ippimail to close – what now for friendly webmail?

I was disappointed to read that ippimail announced “the closure of the ippimail project […] barring a miracle we will take the site down at noon on the 1st May 2009, UK time.” I first covered the ippimail social enterprise … Continue reading

Posted in SPI | Tagged , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

New #ukgovOSS Action Plan

Earlier this week, Tom Watson, Cabinet Office Parliamentary Secretary, published the Open Source, Open Standards and Re–Use: Government Action Plan. It’s had a pretty mixed reaction, with mild scepticism (niq’s soapbox: Is gov.uk going open-source?) being the average reaction from … Continue reading

Posted in SPI | Tagged , , , , | 1 Comment

OSI and FSF Licence Approval Comparison

The Open Source Initiative and the Free Software Foundation are probably the two authorities on what is free and open source software that are better respected than the debian project. It’s fairly easy to see that the famous licences (GNU … Continue reading

Posted in SPI | Tagged , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

SPI February 2009

The monthly board meeting of SPI will take place on irc.oftc.net #spi tonight (Wed 11 Feb) at 20:00 UTC. Members may have seen that the meeting announcement came out on time – hooray! It looks like minutes may also catch … Continue reading

Posted in SPI | Tagged , , , , | 1 Comment